Sunday, April 29, 2012

Attack of the Squash Vine Borers

Anybody who's had trouble with squash borers killing their squash plants knows how much of a pain in the ass they can be. Last year they tore our squash up. This year I was prepared. I saw the moth laying eggs a couple of weeks ago and I tried to pick off all the eggs I could, but it's virtually impossible to find them all. So I knew this moment would come.



That orange frass is the tell tale sign that one of those little jerks has burrowed into the plant. What they do is burrow into the stem and live there, eating the plant from the inside out. After about a month, when your plant is toast, they climb into the ground and go into a cocoon stage where they'll wait until next spring to hatch out as a moth. If you see this bastard around your garden, it's time to arm yourself.





And they leave little red eggs on your plants that look like this:




If you're not looking out for them, you probably won't notice anything is wrong until it's too late. You'll just kind of find your plants wilted and sickly, completely unaware that this son of a bitch is inside your squash or cucumber or watermelon plant, having a goddamn feast!





Once the borer has made it inside, there's really only two options to evict his ass. One is to carefully cut the stem of the plant open with a razor blade, extract the bug(s), and carefully cover the incision with soil in hopes that it will heal. F that noise. I'll take what's behind door number two. This option involves injecting BT into the plant. Here's what to do. First, you'll need a hypodermic needle.




I have a nurse mom so I've got the hookup, but I'm pretty sure you can get them at any pharmacy. Step two is to mix up a batch of BT, I use Thuricide, and fill up the needle.



"Don't worry squash plant, it'll just feel like a little pinch."


Now it's time for the fun part. Take the needle and inject it into the stem of the plant. You'll probably have to move the needle in and out some while trying to inject the chemical until you find the sweet spot. Do this in a few places along the stem so that you know there's nowhere for the little turd to eat plant guts without a BT marinade. I put about a syringe full in each plant.





Repeat these steps and inject all your squash plants. You're supposed to sterilize the needle with a bleach water mixture between each plant to prevent the spread of disease, but I was just too damn lazy to do it. If my plants all die as a result of trying to save them, well so be it.






29 comments:

  1. dude fascinating. never had that problem fortunately. never ever saw or heard of the problem let alone those wicked alien insects. AND never knew plants needed to be shot up. ha ha i feel so enlightened today - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Info. I will keep my eyes open for these guys. Keep up the good work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always thought the borer was terminal! good to know there is hope ... had them last year so we're on the look out now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made my day pal!! Same thing happened to us last year and we will be ready this year to kick their a#@!!! Thanks so much for your time ans info!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Organic Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.) available on Amazon

      Delete
  6. Did the Bt work? I have them now and am thinking of pulling them now so they don't have a chance to get back in the soil for next year. The plants look fine but a few of them have the orange frass and I found the slit under that area...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can sympathize, have had the problem before. I LOVED your wicked blog and witty approach.
    Johnny Bowe

    ReplyDelete
  8. This don't help when you don't know what B.T. is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By is a bacteria toxic to worms and larvae. It is something like bacillus theorensus, or something like that. You can usually spray it on plants and trees to rid them of worms, or more appropriately caterpillars. Some say injection is also effective, but I think it has to contact them. Summer squash has a hollow stem, that is why it is more susceptible to the attack.

      Delete
  9. Unfortunately I have issue every year. And every year they win. Squash use to be such a easy veggitable to grow then I moved to Louisiana and these things have made them the hardest. Trying it again this year will see. I've heard that they are in the woul in cocoon stage by memoral day and planting after will be a better choice . I'll try that this year as well. Will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try beneficial nematodes in the soil so they can't hide in the soil, that will help with the ones that try to overwinter. You can wrap your stems in foil as well.

      Delete
    2. I’ve used foil before and didn’t have any luck

      Delete
  10. I agree about the squash - used to have so much you had to leave it on the neighbors porch in the middle of the night so they couldn't say no. Learned to cook zuchinni into cakes and bread and stuff with cheese etc. I grew them in Cali and then moved to Georgia - never got more than 1 squash due to the bore. There are all kinds of crazy to try but so labor intensive. Never thought about BT. I always have that on hand for those awful bag worms in trees. Anyway injecting might be nice. One year I had no Squash bugs when I used Diatomaceous earth all over the plant. It never grew a fruit either. Can't tell the nice pollinators to come over if you put out DE - it kills all bugs and you can use food grade to brush your teeth with it. I'd like to get specially trained lizards to handle my garden pests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same with spraying soapy mixtures on the plants - it will get rid of the baddies but not leave any goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this post. I cut open the stem on 2 of my zucchini plants and took out 2 of those monsters. Before I thought it was just rot

    ReplyDelete
  13. BT doesn't always work. I dig them out every year & cover back with miracle grow ps & have never lost a plant. I use a long skinny metal bbq thingie & dig up into the stem & pull them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saya sangat membutuhkan informasi ini

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have a very excellent weblog here! want to earn some invite posts on my blog? vinyl wrap for furniture

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed so hard reading the instructions on how to get rid of the squash bugs. They are such a pain..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Use tarume squash problem solved

    ReplyDelete
  18. Was told by a wonderful Gardner who could make a metal pole sprout leaves 😆 never ever harvest zucchini or yellow squash during the day. Always just before dusk. It will give the plant time to scab and the bore bugs and squash beatles won't smell it. Also keeps summer heat from stressing the plant. It's worked like a charm ever since. Happy gardening

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can actually inject vodka, I thought the lady was kidding but we all know what a pain in the butt they are! I had a few eggs get past me last summer and I thought, what the heck, I can try. It worked! Like a champ, the vodka was a win. I live in Arkansas and had summer and winter squash planted first of June and produced until frost in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you dilute the vodka or full strength?

      Delete
  20. By chance does your syringe get clogged up with stem matter? That kept happening to me.

    ReplyDelete